UAE residents warned of house fires

UAE residents warned of house fires

United Arab Emirates residents have been warned about potential causes of house fires, especially regarding the dangers of carbon monoxide.

As the gas is often difficult to detect, knowing what to look out for is essential for early treatment.

The Abu Dhabi Police put out safety guidelines for the public to follow while using firewood and heating appliances in their homes.

The force advised:

  • Avoid starting a fire using firewood or charcoal inside homes
  • Maintain proper ventilation
  • Do not sleep next to a lit wooden stove
  • Do leave the fire burning and extinguish it outside the house
  • Ensure electrical heating tools are connected to a safe source and do not run underneath rugs or furnishings
  • Children should stay away from fire sources such as stoves or fireplaces
  • Appliances should be monitored to avoid overheating
  • Electrical heating appliances should not be used for other heating purposes
  • Wet substances or materials must never be used to extinguish a fire

The Dubai Police previously issued a warning to residents about carbon monoxide and advised citizens to take note of symptoms of CO poisoning such as a headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.