Severe scarring

Severe scarring

Two teenagers suffered second-degree burns after the butane lighter gas they were inhaling inside a car, with its windows locked, triggered a fire in Sharjah.

The face of one of the boys was so badly burned that Dr Safwat Al Husseini, plastic surgery consultant at Al Qasimi Hospital, said that while his injuries could be treated by patching the skin he would still have to suffer life-long scarring.

Dr Husseini also warned about the danger of inhaling gas from cigarette lighters as he is described it as an addictive, narcotic and psychotropic substance which can cause significant physical harm, including respiratory and circulatory system diseases, neurological damage, as well as loss of memory.