Five in hospital after fire

Five members of a family, including the parents and a 16-month-old baby were reported to be fighting for their lives after fire swept through their house in Swindon, England.

The cause of the blaze which is thought to have started in the kitchen shortly after midnight has yet to be established.

However, a fire officer said that the fire spread rapidly because a loft hatch had been left open along with internal doors which allowed flames unhindered access to other rooms and the roof space.