E-bike battery explosion leads to fire in Dubai’s Business Bay

E-bike battery explosion leads to fire in Dubai’s Business Bay

Dubai residents rushed to put out a fire caused by an e-bike batter after it exploded outside of a pharmacy in Business Bay on Sunday 10 March.

While charging using the power socket outside of the shop, witnessed believed the fire was caused by damp conditions.

The Khaleej Times reported that a cafeteria worker and another passerby helped to put out the flames, stating: “There were a few loud bangs and the next thing you see is fire licking the glass exterior of the pharmacy.

“We hastily removed the e-bike else it would have gutted.”

The publication also established that a security guard at Escape Tower close to the pharmacy confirmed the fire was caused by the battery explosion.

This recent incident is one of a series of e-bike-related fires after a train was delayed due to smoke from a passenger’s bike and many more.

With the prevalence of faulty and third-party batteries, lithium-ion is a fire safety risk if it isn’t an established and branded battery provider.

All e-bikes should be fitted with their proper battery and sockets kept dry and away from liquids.