25 Mar Abu Dhabi Police urge residents to protect cars from fires as UAE temperatures rise
Abu Dhabi Police have issued a warning to ask vehicle owners to protect their cars from fires as the temperature soars in the UAE.
Advice from the Abu Dhabi Police and Abu Dhabi Civil Defence have reminded motor owners that vehicles contain flammable liquids and parts, making them vulnerable to fires.
Salem Al Habashi, director of the public safety department at Abu Dhabi Civil Defence Authority, has called on motorists to carry out routine vehicle maintenance through a qualified technician or repair shop to ensure cars are meeting regulatory standards. He also urged motorists to keep a fire extinguisher and first aid bag handy in case of an emergency.
Major Dr Adel Al Saqri, head of the fire department for forensic evident at Abu Dhabi Police, explained that there are five major reasons behind most vehicle fires. These include:
- the use of essential additives that do not conform to the approved measurements and specifications
- leaving behind flammable liquid materials in the vehicle
- the use of non-original fuel or lubricant products that are not compatible with the vehicle’s electrical system
- failure to disconnect electrical devices inside the vehicle, especially in the summer
- the installation of additional parts in the vehicle by a non-specialist technician